Where to Get Free Tax Help in Rohnert Park

The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program began last weekend

If the thought of filling out a 1040 fills you with fear or makes your head spin, there is hope: volunteers with the IRS are offering free tax-preparation help through the agency's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

It's available to those making $51,000 or less per year, according to the IRS.

“This program provides free tax preparation to individuals and families who may not be able to afford a tax preparer," California Board of Equalization Member George Runner said. "Connecting low-income earners with the Earned Income Tax Credit provides them with valuable support during difficult economic times and boosts our state and local economy."

In Rohnert Park, help is available in both English and Spanish at Sonoma County Adult & Youth Development, a local nonprofit. To make an appointment, call 211 or visit 211.org.

And before you go, make sure you have the following items:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
James Gattis January 31, 2013 at 03:19 PM
No one should call SCAYD directly. All people wanting this support tax service should call 211 for appointment.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »