We Need Your Time and Talent!
Please bring your friends and family to our next organizing meeting Saturday, January 4 at 10:00am. Help add Sonoma County's voice to the refrain rising across the nation that "Corporations are NOT people, and money is NOT speech!"
This spring we will be gathering 25,000 signatures to qualify the "We the People Resolution" for the November 2014 county ballot. We have room for 100 to 120 more enthusiastic, team-oriented volunteers to work constructively with us on this exciting endeavor.
Please join us! We need volunteers for our Speaker's Bureau, Outreach and Signature Gathering committees, as well as for Fundraising, Endorsements and Events.
What is the "We the People Resolution?"
This resolution allows the people of Sonoma County to voice our opposition to the Supreme Court's Citizens United and similar rulings that say corporations have the rights of people under the U.S. Constitution, and campaign spending can not be regulated because it is a form of free speech. The resolution calls upon Sonoma County's state and federal legislators to push for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to clarify that
1) the Constitutional right of 'personhood' applies only to human beings, and
2) campaign spending is not equivalent to free speech and can be regulated
Why a Ballot Initiative?
Move to Amend's We the People Amendment (House Joint Resolution 29) was introduced into the U.S. Congress in February 2013, but we know that Congress will not pass this amendment on its own. They are too reliant on campaign contributions from corporations and the super-rich to risk rocking the boat. Move to Amend chapters are placing resolutions like ours on local ballots throughout the U.S. to build massive grassroots pressure for passage of this important Constitutional Amendment.
Can this really work?
Such resolutions have already won in every case in numerous cities, counties and states, regardless of whether the jurisdiction was predominantly Democratic or Republican.
In California, Mendocino County has already approved such a ballot measure, and similar initiatives are being planned for 2014 in Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Humboldt Counties. This history-in-the-making! If the resolutions pass in all four counties we'll have 10% of California counties on board. By every indication more counties will follow, and then.. "As California goes, so goes the nation."
Ways to join
1) Attend our next organizing meeting Saturday, January 4 at 10:00am at the Arlene Francis Center, 99 6th Street, Santa Rosa 95401. We meet at this time and location the first Saturday of every month. Please bring a friend or three!
2) Stay tuned to our facebook page and our webpage for updates.
3) When you join the 320,000 people from all over the country who have signed the online petition supporting the We the People Amendment to the U.S. Constitution you will automatically be added to the Move to Amend Sonoma County email list (just be sure to check that checkbox)
4) Contact us directly at email@example.com.
Please share this post with your like-minded friends! Hope to be working with you soon!