1. City Hall will be closing this week at noon on Thursday, Dec. 23 for the Christmas Holiday. Due to budget issues they will also be closed the following week and will not re-open until Monday, Jan. 3, 2011. So if you have any business that needs tending to zip on over!
2. On the same note of closures, the Rohnert Park Chamber of Commerce will be closed on Friday, Dec. 24 and will not re-open until Monday, Jan. 3, 2011. You still have today and tomorrow to have any important Chamber business needs taken care of.
3. Another rainy day on the docket for us in Rohnert Park. On the bright side it looks like it will rain in the early morning and should taper off in the early afternoon. There is still a 20 percent chance of rain for the afternoon and into the evening but that is a lot more promising than it has been.
4. On this day in 1882 Edward Johnson (an associate of Thomas Edison) created the first string of Christmas tree lights. At the time he was the Vice President of the Edison Electric Company and his tree was lit with 80 hand wired bulbs that were red, white and blue. However lights were very expensive and did not replace candles in the majority of houses until the 1930s. After seeing pictures of trees lit with candles I am very thankful for his invention.
5. The Rohnert Park Animal Shelter is still offering free microchips for your dog or cat. You can never be too careful. This way, if your pet runs away you can always bring him back home.