Sometimes in the fun and festivities of a holiday we forget the real meaning behind them. I know for most of us Thanksgiving is all about the food and getting together with friends and family. I like to take a few minutes, though, to reflect on what I have to be thankful for – work that I’m passionate about, a husband that’s loving and supportive, a nice home, good health, the list goes on and on. I realize that I am pretty lucky and I try to remember to be appreciative.
I realize too that my pets have it pretty good – premium pet food, cushy beds, a deluxe cat enclosure, dogs (and rabbit) that go to work (and don’t have to sit home alone), and more. Then it occurred to me that they don’t ever say “thank you.” So I thought I’d help the pets in your life express the appreciation that I’m sure they feel for all you do for them.
Pets Thank You List:
- Thank you for making me part of the family. My favorite place is next to you – I’d much rather be sitting inside with you than outside getting “fresh air” all by myself.
- Thanks for feeding me high quality food and keeping me at a healthy weight. I know it’s easy to overindulge – I sure like my treats! – but I know you have my best interest at heart when you say “no” to my begging.
- Thank you for taking the time to teach me how to behave properly so I am welcome when we go places together. I would hate to be left behind (see #1) and know I must be on my best behavior.
- Thanks for taking me to the veterinarian regularly – not just when I am sick. Preventive care is important to stay in good health, especially for older pets.
- Thank you for protecting me with an ID tag and microchip just in case we ever get separated. The tags show the world that you love me and are my ticket home.
- Thank you for making sure I always look my best – I know I fuss sometimes when you give me a bath but staying flea-free and untangled sure has it’s benefits.
- Thanks for playing with me and making sure I get regular exercise. I always try to be behave but the saying is true - a tired dog is a good dog!
- Thank you for having me spayed or neutered so I’m not distracted by the “call of nature.” I’m content to be your best friend; I don’t have a need to be a parent too.
- Thank you most of all for making a lifetime commitment to me. You mean everything to me and I’m happy to know it’s reciprocated!
- Thank you for your love – I’m never happier than when you are showing me attention.
There’s a great bumper sticker that says, “Let me be the person my dog thinks I am.” It’s true – dogs think we are gods and cats, well, they think we are their servants. But the love we feel for our pets is returned ten-fold. I hope each of you have a chance in your life to be on the receiving end of that kind of adoration. Take a few minutes this holiday to really appreciate what pets bring to our lives.
Upcoming Events – Black (cat) Friday adoption special – this weekend. All black cats are free! And all other dogs and cats (over 4 months old) are just $45. If you don’t have a pet that adores you, we can solve that problem!