Much like the Grinch in the timeless Dr. Seuss book "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," the cold, rainy weather could not stop the Christmas Spirit from prevailing over the weekend during the 30th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in Rohnert Park
Hundreds of children and their families gathered at City Center Plaza to join in on the fun and watch the tree lighting. No tree lighting ceremony would be complete without Santa Claus, and as you can see in the photos from Rohnert Park Chamber of Commerce's Facebook Page, he did not disappoint.
City workers got the town ready for Christmas earlier by putting up Christmas lights on the Redwoods lining Rohnert Park Expressway as well as the trees in the plaza.
Take a look at the photos and add some of your own. Did you attend the ceremony? What was your favorite part?
Don't miss out on the fun this Wednesday during these Christmas events on tap for Rohnert Park and Cotati:
Cotati Tree Lighting - On Wednesday, December 5 you can stop by La Plaza Park in Cotati for their annual celebration. Starting at 6 p.m. enjoy carols and the tree lighting. Enjoy cookies, cocoa, and a visit from Santa Claus at the park.
Three Nights of Holiday Cheer - Cotati continues its tradition of festive fun with an evening for toasting with friends on Thursday, December 6. From 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. adults (21 and over) can travel between the 8 Ball, Cotati Yacht Club, Friar Tucks, and Spancky's enjoying drink specials and appetizers.
Candlelight Concert - The Cotati Three Nights of Fun ends on Friday, December 7 with a free candlelight concert at the Church of the Oaks from 7 to 9 p.m.
Weaver's Winter Wonderland - What Christmas isn't complete without stopping by Scott Weaver's house at 1190 Cielo Circle in Rohnert Park. Usually he has everything up and running by December 1st. When looking at lights don't forget to vote in the Patch's Deck the Halls Contest to bring $100,000 to our local schools.
Fun at Spreckels - During December there will be a slew of Christmas themed shows at Spreckles such as the Santaland Diaries, Do it Yourself Dickens, and The Nutcracker. Stop by the City's Calendar for more information.
Santa's Sleigh - Once again the Rohnert Park Public Safety Officers Association is sending Santa out about town to provide local boys and girls a chance to tell him what they want for Christmas and get pictures taken. Also he will be collecting new, unwrapped toys for a toy drive. The full schedule is listed below.
- 12/1 Rohnert Park Chamber Holiday Lights Celebration @ City Center Plaza, 5:00 - 8:00pm (500 City Center Drive)
- 12/5 F/H/G Sections: Drive through F section to 6:00pm stop @ Hahn Elementary then Drive through to 7:30 pm and stop @ G Park
- 12/7 D/E Sections: Drive through D & E sections to 6:30pm stop @ Fire Station (5200 Country Club Drive)
- 12/8 S/J/R/C Sections: Drive through all 4 sections to 6:30pm stop @ Community Center (5401 Snyder Lane)
- 12/12 L/M Sections: Drive through L section to 6:00pm stop @ L Park then Drive through M section to 7:30pm stop @ M Park
- 12/14 A/B Sections: Drive through A & B sections to 6:30pm stop @ 49er Pet (375 Southwest Blvd.)
- 12/15 West Side of Rohnert Park for 6:30pm stop @ Applebee's Restaurant (501 Rohnert Park Expressway)
For updated information: View "Rohnert Park Public Safety Officers Association" on Facebook .
Contributor Nick Walden contributed to this report.
Know of any fun events we are missing? Tell us in the comments!